Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No Bake Chocolate PB Cookies

This is a very old recipe that we used to make when I was a kid. We often made it in the summer because turning the oven on in our non-airconditioned house was pretty awful. It was originally made with oatmeal but I have substituted quinoa (keen-wah) flakes to make it GF. Quinoa is loaded with protein. You can use GF oats but they are hard to find and very expensive. Also, if you are like me, you have a separate intolerance of oats so this works! Even though this is a cookie, it has a lot of really healthy ingredients in it and is quick and easy.

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 tbls. cocoa (dark if possible)
1/2 c milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups quinoa flakes (or oatmeal)
1/2 cups walnuts chopped

Melt butter in saucepan and add cocoa, milk and sugar. Heat to boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stirring until smooth. Add the quinoa and nuts. Drop spoonfuls on waxed paper covered baking sheets and chill until set.

1 comment:

  1. I saw those quinoa flakes and wondered what they'd be good in... I'm going to make these this weekend when I'm hanging out with my mom and nephew!!!

    ReplyDelete