Friday, August 7, 2009

Baked Apple Puff Pancake

There are restaurants around here that serve a wonderful puff pancake but it is not gluten free, of course. Here is a recipe for a puff pancake that is easy and really delicious. I remind twice to use potholders because I have burned my hand more than once making this!

Gluten Free Puff Pancake

2 T butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour mix of choice
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt (none if butter is salted)
2 medium apples, peeled and sliced thinly
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place apple slices in a microwavable cooking dish covered and microwave a minute at a time until tender but not mushy. Add 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and the cinnamon to the apples and stir. Place a skillet with the butter into the oven for 3-5 minutes until butter melts (watch it or it will burn). In a bowl using a whisk or beater, beat the eggs slightly. Add the flour, milk and salt and beat until smooth. Pour the batter into the very hot skillet and bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and set. Remove pan from oven (use potholders!) and turn oven to broil. Pour the apples over the top. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar and more cinnamon if desired. When broiler is hot, place the pan back in about 6 inches from the heat source and watch carefully until brown sugars is bubbling and melted. Using potholders, remove from oven, cut into pieces and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I have been making a Puffed Pear Pancake, which was not GF. I often put the butter in the hot skillet, then I added the pear slices. At this point it would still be sizzling, if the cast iron skillet had preheated long enough. Then I topped with cinnamon/sugar. THEN I added the pancake mixture. You may want to try it to see if you do not need the microwave or broiler.

    I hope to use yours a tinker with it, like I did my old recipe, so that I can have a GF Puffed Pear Pancake today. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete